Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Junk mail from Jesus

I get junk mail like everyone else. Credit card offers, coupons, sweepstakes stuff, etc. I've come to accept that my name is on a list somewhere, and a midget with a helmet and an eye-patch stuffs an envelope with my name on it. Sometimes, however, the junk mail is in it's own category of weird, or scary, or weird and scary.



My wife gets most of the junk mail because she's the one with an actual credit history. Plus she's a Christian, so she gets things from religious groups, on top of the usual shit.



Getting to the mail I'm specifically referring to, I got this in the mail:



(click on pictures to enlarge weirdness)






And it came with this letter of equal weirdness:



(click to enlarge weirdness)






On top of this already weird piece of mail comes the so-called "prayer rug", which is actually just a paper poster with Jesus' face on the front, and a message on the opposite side. The message reads, "This Prayer Rug is soaked with the Power of Prayer for you. Use it immediately, then please return it with your Prayer Needs Checked on our letter to you. It must be mailed to a second home that needs a blessing after you use it. Prayer works. Expect God's blessing."



But this is the best part! On the side with Jesus' face there is a message at the bottom of the "Prayer Rug". It states, "Look into Jesus' Eyes you will see they are closed. But as you continue to look you will see His eyes opening and looking back into your eyes. Then go and be alone and kneel on this Rug of Faith or touch it to both knees. Then please check your needs on our letter to you. Please return this Prayer Rug. Do not keep it." IT'S A FUCKIN' MAGIC EYE POSTER!!!



The same stuff is spread all over the envelope, too. Don't get me wrong, I like Jesus. We play on the company softball team together. Some people might not believe me, but I am actually a Christian(I should probably pray for my blogging activities). I don't think this looks good for a church to send out. It's really weird, and fucked up. It makes God look like Ed MacMahon on Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes.



And don't worry, I'm not keeping the Jesus Magic Eye Poster Prayer Rug.



Am I wrong about this stuff? Should I upload the prayer rug for your veiwing pleasure? Should I use it?

No comments:

Post a Comment