Monday, December 20, 2004

Masterpeice Theatre: Hard Target

I'm a sucker for a cheap DVD because I'm a World Heavyweight Champion couch potatoe. I'm in Circuit City the other night, and I see Hard Target sitting in the Action section. I've been meaning to build-up my Van Damme collection, which is sadly lacking right now. So, when I see that the movie's only $7.99, it quickly leaves the shelf and comes home with me.




I hadn't seen this one since I was about 13 (ten years ago), to be honest I couldn't remember much about it, except that it was Hong Kong action director John Woo's American debut. After watching it, I thought to myself, "They don't make action movies like that anymore,"

The movie didn't suffer too much from age, and the action, particularly the martial arts, were some of Van Damme's best. When I say they don't make action movies like that anymore, I'm talking about the editing style, and presentation. Van Damme is introduced peice-by-peice, like Mel Gibson in Mad Max. Slow motion is used more times than I can count, and the musical score was full of those Jazz/Rock Guitar riffs last heard in Bad Boys I/II.

I was also reminded of the fact that this was the movie Nicholas Cage stole his look from for Con Air (which doesn't compare well to this film). Jean-Claude rocks the mullet in this movie also. Something he doesn't do in any other movie. And Lance Henricksen does a great job of playing an over-the-top early 90s action film villain. I was pleasantly surprised to see Arnold Vosloo(The Mummy, Mummy Returns) in there also as the evil henchman, and Wilford Brimley(The Quaker Oats guy) as Uncle Duvee.

I give Hard Target a 4/5 for an action film from a by-gone era of F-bombs and ultra-violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment