Wednesday, October 13, 2004

The Macho Man's Musical Review

SilverSurfer9090: I know this isn't new news, but I thought if I refreshed everyone's memory, people might actually buy this thing! The fact that it exists is reason enough for me. It's like one of those things you dream about after eating something weird before you go to bed. Only this time it's real! The Macho Man has a rap album!Look for this CD cover the next time you're at the mall. You might want to read this review before you buy it though.




By: Badseed



Of all the wrestlers, Ron Killings, BG James and John Cena, who are trying to bring the hip hop genre to wrestling, who would have thought that an old school wrestling star, like the Macho Man Randy Savage, would garner mainstream hip hop/wrestling attention with his very first rap CD, Be A Man. Go figure?

Yes, I couldn't believe Savage would come out with a rap CD; maybe rock, but not rap. I thought it was a joke as many people did, but it was true; it came out in early October and commercials and interviews popped up everywhere pushing this CD. I had to check it out for myself.

Be a Man is not the greatest rap CD. You cannot compare this CD to Eminem's work; Jay-Z's last CD or 50 Cent, but as far as rap goes, this is not a horrible CD by any means. For a wrestler who we never even knew liked rap and probably didn't, this CD is certainly worth a listen. Shaquille O'Neal can make basketball related CD's (and only his first was any good), why can't a wrestler put out a CD of rap with a wrestling feel.

I'm the wrestling king/but now I'm spitting lyrics/took it right from the ring/cause I wanted you to hear this. (I'm Back)

Basically, Be a Man is a lot of fun. I started getting used to the delivery and actually love the fact that he raps in his wrestling voice. It works and the fact that there was some great production, nice beats, decent hooks performed by Savage's backup group, the Rascals, and smart references to other artists like Q-Tip, Be A Man is not a joke. It doesn't hurt that a lot of the songs are catchy.

R U Ready/Are you all ready for this/cause if you are/Pump your fist like this/R U Ready/Keep it going on and on/We're gonna rock it baby all night long..

Savage even has the guest of guests, DJ Kool, who is often underrated. This guy gave us Let Me Clear My Throat and now he is banging with Savage on Hit the Floor and is as good as ever in getting people jacked and pumped by just his style alone.

Remember Me features Savage rapping more mellow and it comes off nice with a great hook by the ladies. I love when the ladies sing the hook. How could you forget about me/forget all about me/Remember me/I'm the same ol' Macho that I used to be/Still the reigning king/so remember me. The girls do their thing again on Macho Thang, another entertaining song.

Be a Man also features two rock/rap songs like Tear it Up and Feel the Madness. I liked the rock sound and there are even some tender moments like the love song, What's That All About and the emotional track, My Perfect Friend featuring the R&B sounds of Prymary Colorz. This is a nice song with some tender words for the late, great Mr. Perfect Curt Henning.

Mr. Perfect's the name that will never be forgotten/As long as Macho's around, I'mma keep your spot in wrestling history/Cause you were all about perfection/you were one of the best, very high on my list/Not just in the ring, but out of the ring, you're dearly missed. A lot has to do with the delivery and whether you like it or not, you can tell it came from the heart.

Of course, who can forget about the title track, Be A Man where Savage tries to punk out Hulk Hogan. Hot diggity damn (I love that part)/Hulk you set it off/used to be hard, Hulk/Now you done turned soft/Doin' telephone commercials, I seen ya/dancing in tights as a ballerina/I knew all along you had those tendencies/cause you been running from Macho like I got a disease/Dude, please, your PPV event was a joke/you're avoiding Randy Savage cause ya know you'll get smoked.

This is as hardcore as the CD gets and that's why I like it. Maybe, someone should give Savage some credit for not cursing, talking about shootouts, bling bling and big booty hoes shaking their tail feather. Yes, I laughed at some of the raps, but I actually enjoyed this CD. It was a lot of fun and it didn't have to pair Ja Rule or Fat Joe with R&B Chick A, to be that way.

None of the songs will make the top 10, but Savage does a good job of introducing hip hop to what is considered a redneck wrestling culture. Any wrestling fan should have this CD. We know some of you still have the Vanilla Ice CD and Shaq Fu; Randy Savage's Be A Man is nothing to be ashamed of. Dig It?

No comments:

Post a Comment