Sunday, February 6, 2005

Super Bowl Sunday

Well, it's Super Bowl Sunday. And to be honest, I'm really not into either team this year, so I guess I'll be watching for the commercials(watching TV for the commercials?!). Out of the two, however, I'm gonna have to root for Philadelphia because I like underdogs, and New England won't be hurting if they don't win another Super Bowl.





Having a Super Bowl party, however, is something worth rooting for no matter who is playing. I always enjoy getting together with friends over a bountiful feast of Buffalo wings, pizza rolls, and spinach dip. And don't forget a frosty cold beer, or cola of your choice! I know I won't(I'll be enjoying a nice cream soda since I'm just too cheap to buy beer). Of course, I have two Super Bowl-style parties each year(Wrestlemania 21 isn't too far off).



The Super Bowl will be displaying a different kind of Half-time show this year, too. I'm interested to see what they do with Paul McCartney, and how shockingly decent it will be. I mean, of what I've seen in the last few years it was getting a little ridiculous. Last year's debacle was viewed by millions, but not me because I flipped the channel over to some Half-time special on another channel. I never watch the Half-time show, and after missing what happened last year, I felt cheated(just kidding!).



Whatever team you cheer for, or rituals you and your family have for this day. I hope it's as enjoyable as it should be. I know I'm gonna relax, and have fun. And who knows, it might actually be an exciting game(remember St. Louis/Tennessee?)!




How to Throw a Great Super Bowl Party

Saturday, February 05, 2005



JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Event planner and interior designer Colin Cowie (search), most famous for throwing Oprah's 50th birthday party, spoke to FOX News entertainment reporter Lisa Bernhard from Jacksonville, Fla., where he is preparing a pre-game Super Bowl (search) party for football legends and their wives.



Cowie, known for his simple elegance, thinks the whole idea of planning a Super Bowl bash is to "come up with a formula that keeps you glued to the television screen and not chained to the kitchen stove."



"I think any well-organized party has a well-thought-out bar," he told FOX. "So you don't have to play the host and bartender all day long, this is kind of set up as a self-help bar. I put beautiful, colored glasses out to make it elegant as well."



As for drinks, Cowie serves different types of beers, soft drinks, red wine, white wine, iced tea and even coffee.



"Guests can help themselves at any time. It's easy to do," he said.



Then there's the grub — which, given that it's the Super Bowl, is largely focused on meat.



"To keep the stomach lined I made this wonderful chili, and of course, as with anything, if you start with great ingredients you get a great product. So I worked with the best-quality beef I could find, but I'm serving it like caviar. I have a myriad of different accompaniments here, so you can mix it to your own liking, whether hot, spicy or medium," he said.





For rib lovers, Cowie puts them under the broiler so the sugar in the sauce caramelizes to produce that just-off-the-barbecue look. He then heats them in the oven on a smooth rack.



To serve between courses, Cowie prepares lighter fare: an array of salads on trays with dressing.



"Once again, guests help themselves," he said.



And whatever you do, don't reheat pizza, Cowie warns.



"I buy the pizzas from the pizza store ready to be cooked, and pop them in the oven. We're not ordering pizza," he said.



Finally, he breaks out the champagne, to "drown our sorrows with the losers or celebrate with the winners."(foxnews.com)




Related Super Bowl Links(foxnews.com)



Fast Facts: Eagles vs Patriots



Cute Beats Crude in 2005 Super Bowl Ads



Jackson Changed Halftime Show Expectations



01/27/05 FoxPoll: Super Bowl Predictions



Ford Pulls Lustful Super Bowl Car Ad



Faith Takes Center Stage at Super Bowl



McCartney Safe Bet for Super Bowl Halftime

No comments:

Post a Comment