Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Da Vinci Code controversy

I guess the first thing I have to ask is - why? What is the big controversy about the Da Vinci Code?

Before the new movie was made, I read the book. You probably remember about a year ago, maybe, when everyone was talking about it and everyone was reading it. Well, I was one of those readers. And after I read it, I'd have to say that I liked it. I thought it was an interesting, fast-paced read with some cool little puzzles and crap in it, and it had an interesting resolution, I thought. Afterword, I read Dan Brown's Angels & Demons (which, if it were made into a movie would probably be much more controversial) and I felt like I had been taken a bit. They were damn near the same book!(sighs) But back to Da Vinci Code...

It's members of the Christian community (which I'm a part of) that find a problem with the book. Many seem to feel that the book presents some contradicting views of Christian history and theology as fact and that bothers them. I can understand that in some regards. But the problem with that is the fact that the book is clearly fiction. It is a fiction book. FICTION BOOK. What am I missing here?
The Da Vinci Code

It's almost like watching the freaks come out into the sun all over again like during the initial Harry Potter controversy. Why, people?! What is wrong with Harry Potter?! Did your parents act like this when the Wizard of Oz came out?! I doubt it.

I just don't understand sometimes, the battles that people choose to fight.

As far as the movie is concerned here is a link to one of the first movie reviews. I'm not sure if I'm going to see it at the theater since I've already read the book, but I'm thinking about it.

Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment