Tuesday, May 9, 2006

Styx in Panama City, FL

I went to the Styx concert last night here in Panama City.
current Styx line-up

I was fairly excited to hear that Styx was coming to Panama City since we don't exactly draw very many entertainers or acts that I have much interest in shelling out money to see (Gallagher, Sinbad, George Jones with Confederate Railroad, etc). Styx, on the other hand, are one of my all-time favorite rock groups. They had great musicianship and some of the most uplifting rock songs of their era. Plus Tommy Shaw kicks ass.

So, I got my tickets shortly after hearing about the show on the classic rock station two months ago and in that time between getting my seats and the show itself, I listened to a few of my CDs and waited. In fact, I forgot about the show until about last week when I started hearing the DJs hype the concert again.

The show was supposed to start at 7pm. So, we drove downtown and parked near my company's office, a few blocks from the arena, about an hour before showtime. We decided that it would be easier to get out after the show if we were parked somewhere outside the arena and not trying to beat some crowd. It paid off after the show too. I would've taken my camera with me, but Cystal was positive that I wouldn't be allowed to take it in. I was pissed when I saw everyone taking pictures (I forgive you, Crystal).

When we got to the building there was naturally people there already. There was a lot of people there who were obviously older (40s-50s) as I was expecting. I mean, Styx was in there prime in the late 70s to early 80s. None the less, there were some teenagers and some people in their 20s like myself. The majority of the crowd were Baby Boomers though. I was kind of hoping for that anyway. I didn't want to have to see a show with a bunch of young obnoxious a**holes who probably only knew one song.

When we got inside there was a t-shirt stand and a bar in the lobby. Some of the other concert goers seemed to have hit the liquor cabinet before coming down to the show anyway and it seemed like most of the people getting drinks were just maintaining the buzz they brought with them. I also got a better look at some of the people. Let me say to those that might fear that the mullet is extinct: it is alive and well and it's in Panama City, Florida. So is 80s mallrat hair. I think a lot of these people were single in the mid 80s, met their significant other, and then both got frozen in time to come to the Styx concert in 2006. Some guys and girls need to learn how to transition with the times just a little bit better, ya know?

The ushers were all women (possibly from the monothilic age) in white jackets with bow ties and flashlights. Thankfully, we were able to avoid them and find our seats on our own because I think it would have taken 3 times as long with their assistance. I did get a kick out of watching them feel around in the dim lighting, even with flashlights, trying to read the numbers on the section/rows to find people's seats.

Our seats were in the middle section in the middle of the last row on the floor which were actually great seats. We had the most elevated seats on the floor, we could stand up anytime during the show, and we were still really close to the stage. I saw maybe a half dozen people near our section who were either plastered or stoned before the show started and I got a kick out of watching the sideshow of one short drunken middle-aged man yell for the show to start about 20 minutes before it was suppose to begin.

The opener was a local band called Hand Honey, an alternative rock-style band made-up of guys that go to the community college. They have kind of a small cult following in the city and play a lot of the bars and clubs on the beach throughout the year and a few shows around the Southeast states. They weren't bad. The musicianship was alright and the songs had some pretty good melodies, but the lead singer's vocals had so much reverb that I think I heard a handful of words the entire time he sang. They did about 30 minutes and then left the stage.

Then some local DJs killed some time pimping out their radio contests and talking about something I can't remember while the roadies got the stage ready for Styx. Then at 8pm, Styx came out on stage by appearing on a platform behind and above the drum riser. They didn't waste any time and opened with Blue Collar Man. Right after that they went into Grand Illusion.

The majority of the show was basically every Styx hit. They did sneak in some newer stuff, like One With Everyting, and a song they wrote to be performed with a full orchestra and choir soon.
Todd Sucherman

In the middle of the show the drummer, Todd Sucherman, and the band went through an amazing 18 song medley. It covered a majority of their mid 80s material (which I'm guessing they didn't feel like playing, but didn't want to disappoint anyone). Mr. Roboto was one of the many songs.

During the show, James JY Young and Tommy Shaw were all over the stage and I don't think a single song was played exactly like the album. They went off on so many solos and breakdowns that a few times I forgot what song they were playing. But it was great stuff and the sound in the arena blew any of the studio recordings out of the water. I was trying to get my ears to pop in between a few song though. Lawrence Gowan, Dennis DeYoung's replacement, had a setup which was pretty cool with a spinning organ platform and lights covering the face of it. There seemed to be a smoke machine underneath it as well, but that may have just been the arena.

They closed the show with Come Sail Away, and the entire arena was on their feet singing along. Confetti was blasted out over the audience at the end and the band left the stage. An "encore" chant started and shortly after they came back out and played Renegade. It was an awesome show. They threw some beach balls into the crowd, some frisbees, and even some towels with Styx logos (they were kind enough to make true concert souveniers out of the towels by wiping their faces with them before tossing them to the crowd).

And it was the perfect end to a great day yesterday. I had found out earlier in the day that Crystal's starting pay at her job is astronomical, and also we found a bigger apartment right here in the complex where we live. I was in such a good mood, I can't remember the last time I felt so good. It had been awhile. During Come Sail Away, I was thinking about the day, the great news, the amazing show, and I caught a glimpse of Crystal beside me. In the moment while I was thinking about how amazing things were turning out for us and the beginning of our new journey with her career starting and everything, I began to get choked up. I seriously thought I was gonna start crying for a second. Then I pulled my sh*t together and continued singing.

During the walk back to the car, we both agreed that even DisneyWorld (where we're going in about a week) couldn't top that show, or the day. We'd take 5 days like this over 5 at DisneyWorld any day.

So, in short - if Styx comes to town, I say check 'em out. It's well worth it.



Grand Illusion and Lights (two of my favorites)

No comments:

Post a Comment