Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Running on empty

Damn, this week is slowly sucking me dry! I can't really explain it - yes, I can.

Sunday night was fine. Skip that.

Monday night was the beginning. Had a great day and a great night out. But, when we arrived at the house around 10:20pm it started to go downhill. We made it home before a major storm blew through and did some damage around town. The rain was coming down sideways all night, beating off the sliding glass doors and the windows. Then it began to hail. Shortly after the hail, the power went out. That was around midnight.

Slowly but surely it began to get hotter and hotter until I could barely stand it. At the same time lightning flashes outside were lighting up the room every 10 to 15 seconds. It was like a bad acid trip.

Eventually, the power came back on around 4am, which didn't help much since I was finally just starting to fall asleep again. I listened to some things click around and light up around the house as the juice came back and then I tried to roll over and get back to sleeping. My alarm was supposed to go off at 6am. It didn't. Not because I forgot to reset it. It has batteries in it as well as being plugged into the wall so I don't have to. I knew I didn't have to reset it because while the power was gone it was still working. But the strangest thing happened. It seemed to reset my alarm even though it kept the time. Arrgghh!!!

I woke up around 7:15am. I had to be at work at 8am. I washed my face, brushed, my hair, did the Listerine thing and went out the door. When I got to the office there wasn't a single co-workers' car in the parking lot and I simply thought,"everyone must be running late too,"

How naive, Rene. How naive.

As I'm unlocking the alleyway door into the office (I'm a backdoor man), I get a call on my work phone.

"Are you at the office yet?"

"I'm just walking in." I unlock the door and walk in. All the lights are off in the place. At the very moment that I'm realizing that the power hasn't come back to the office, I hear on my phone,"There's no power at the office yet, Rene. No one's there. I'd call back about every two hours until we find out something,"

F*ck.

So, I get back in my Ford Exploder (that's not a typo) and head back to my apartment. By the time I get home I begin to feel the fatigue from my sleepless hot sweaty night of tossing and turning. I sit down and have a bowl of cereal since I'm home. Halfway through my bowl of CoCoa Krispies I get the call to come back to the office, the power was finally back. Ugh.

When I get back to the office I walk in the front doors to see that for some reason the carpeting at the entrance is soaked to the bone. You see, the entire facade of the the office entrance is a glass wall basically, with some vertical blinds. The company name is on the glass outside - it looks rather nice. The drawback, however, is that this is an OLD building and there seems to be a sealant problem between the bottom of the glass wall and the inside of the office. As the rain came sweeping down and the wind blew it against the face of the office building throughout the night, it actually swept the water right under the glass and into the building, into the carpet. It made a nice "squish, squoosh" sound when I walked in.
Rene, there's an a**hole on line 1 for you

When I got in my office I had to flip on the switch on my gigantoid surge protector next to my computer to get started. As I was sitting there I noticed that my phone, which hadn't been displaying on the LCD for about three months, was working! I guess it just needed a few bolts of lightning up the old wazoo.

Anyway, since then I've slept like crap all week and for some reason can't seem to fall asleep before 11am. I'm a bit of a zombie at this point really. Which is why I'm sitting here writing this, I suppose.
I'm mocking you, Rene!

Hopefully, I'll hit a wall soon and can catch up on some sleep. If anything good can come out of this, at least my phone is working again... thank you, Satan. You smug bastard.

No comments:

Post a Comment