Saturday, June 4, 2005

At The Movies: Episode III

So, I went to the theatre last weekend and saw Episode III, and I have to say it was pretty cool.


It was definitely the darkest of all the Star Wars movies, and it had the longest fight in it also. Although, everyone seemed to make a bigger deal out of the lightsabre fight than I think was warranted (it was a longer fight than any other, but I really didn't see any other difference in it).

The graphic nature of the ending was also interesting, but I'm still not so sure that the movie was PG-13, and not PG. Compared to what passes as PG-13 it seemed pretty tame to me. He gets burned badly, I don't think that's such an offensive thing. If you watch the Goonies, the kids say things like,"Shit" and "Damn It" over and over.

The coolest thing to me though, was how the movie got really retro toward the end, to blend Episode III into Episode IV from 1978. Everyone starts to get bigger hair and sideburns, and start wearing very ugly powder blue and brown jumpsuits. Plus, the ships start to get whiter inside and start to get that plastic interior look that they have in the original trilogy.

The touch of making a digital, younger Gov. Tarkin was neat too, who was played in the original film by the late british horror film star Peter Cushing.

There are some hoaky moments in the film, like when Darth Vader does his already mocked yell of sadness about his wife's death. If you haven't heard it, it's pretty much the same yell that got laughs in Rambo II and was removed after test screenings, but I'm sure George Lucas didn't show this movie to anyone but his close friends first. Darth Vader simply raises his arms up toward the sky and yealls in his James Earl Jones voice,"NOOOOOO!!!"

Besides small moments like that, I thought the movie worked pretty well. I would say it's the best of the new three, and that Phantom Menace still sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment