Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Wednesday, November 4th, 2008

Being unemployed is very weird. I never truly realized what a creature of habit I am until now. Not having a job to wake up for Monday through Friday has completely changed my sleep patterns or I should say I stay up until ungodly hours watching the most asinine programming. Whats funny about it is the fact that it's not a product of lament or sadness... just of unoccupation. Nothing about my mood has changed in my estimation, it's like being 13 and on summer vacation again only I'm not 13, I'm 27 and I don't know how to be on summer vacation anymore. If you could go back in time and tell the 13 year old me that he'd probably spontaneously explode from the mere pondering of the notion. I know I'm shocked by it now.

But as I sit here collecting unemployment for the first time in my relativley short life I take pleasure in the simplest of things.

My marriage is like granite rock. We've only been together less than 7 years but have already faced a lifetimes worth of adversity. Health. Death. Finance. Nothing has ever shaken our commitment to one another, if anything it's always seemed to bring us closer together when we've made it through to the other side. And at this point, having done it so many times already, I can tell that we both know we will be fine when these things arise again and we have to push through them again. I'm very grateful for that.

I have to also say I never knew what a sports fan I was until I had nothing to do but watch SportsCenter. I'm more interested in College Football, the NFL, NBA, and Major League Baseball than at any other time in my life. I actually watched every game of the World Series which I have to say probably wasn't worth the time invested.

Something I really didn't invest any time into lately was the Presidential Election since I was just waiting for it to end. Every day when I walk out to my mailbox I have to throw away countless "vote early" and "vote your values" cards. Then I have to erase three or four automated calls on my answering machine from the Governor urging me to vote on election day. No more. Thank God. And I didn't even vote! Thought about it... for a few seconds.

Either way I couldn't say that the historical significance wasn't lost one me last night when I was watching the NBC news and they unveiled an enormous graphic stating "President Obama". I was really surprised at the shock I still had when first seeing it. I had already come to the conclusion that Barack Obama was probably going to win days ago, but I guess believing it and actually seeing it are two different things. It was amazing and probably one of the most powerful moments in our country's history to occur during my lifetime. I thought about that for quite a while last night. I thought that was cool.

I really had no investment in either McCain or Obama and felt that one was as good as the other, and so I'm still just glad the entire thing is over.

As for other things on my mind, I'm sure I'll think of a way of organizing those thoughts at a later date in the future. Right now I've got to check out what's on ESPN.

No comments:

Post a Comment