Tuesday, March 8, 2005

The Contender

I was reading a book with the TV on in the background, when I noticed that they were airing a repeat of the first episode of The Contender. I missed it when it originally aired earlier this week, and had kind of forgotten about it. So, I kept reading my book while the show began to get more interesting to me. Not much longer, I had put down my book and was watching the show.

Sly Stallone is on the show, but wasn't ovewrwhelmingly on screen. Sugar Ray Leonard was also very in-and-out, but the boxers were interesting enough without any celebrity help. It probably doesn't hurt that Mark Brunette(CBS' Survivor) is the Executive Producer of the show. He knows all the tricks to making reality television worth watching (even if he does stage events on his so-called reality shows).

Plus, the boxing action in this first episode was pretty pimp. It was, however, only about 10 minutes of the total show. Before they ever got to the ring they had the fighters divided into two teams and competing in little Survivor-like challenges. The team challenge thing usually turns me off (mostly because of the retarded Real World/Road Rules Challenge shows), but these ones actually didn't suck.

So, I'll probably keep watching for a while, and see if continues to be as good as this first one.

Also, there are rumblings that since MGM is now owned by Sony, and have new people in charge, they are interested in Rocky VI. The success of the Contender is apparently being watched by the studio to see if this is a bankable investment. So far, the buzz has been good for it.


Also, King Of The Blogs is still going on for American Warmonger, who deserves your vote, and will be getting mine. Help Jeremy retain his crown. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment