Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Napster vs. Limewire

When I first decided to get DSL and leave dial-up and AOL behind, I was offered a free Napster To Go mp3 player and 3 free months of downloads from Napster as incentive to make the switch. I was thinking about switching anyway, and the mp3 really didn't make a difference to me, but it seemed like a nice little goodie anyway. So, I thought it would be fun to download some songs for a little while.

WRONG!!!

The files are "right protected" and can only be played on the cheap-o mp3 player I got in the mail (looks like a Cracker Jack toy). plus, after the first three months you have to pay $15 a month for the service and if you want to burn anything to a CD it costs an additional $1 a song! WHAT KIND OF BARGAIN IS THAT?!



Well, to make a long story short, I got so freakin' mad that I couldn't make a CD out of the useless Napster files, that I immediately dumped Napster and all my files, and simply got Limewire.

I like Limewire. It reminds me of Kazaa, except that I have a much higher success and quality rating when it comes to getting good files. I don't always find what I'm looking for since it's basically paying one-time for the ability to share files with other people who've also payed to join the club. But, it's still much more fun.

So, to summarize, file sharing will not die until record industry companies learn not to be such douche bags. I WILL NOT PAY $15 BUCKS A MONTH AND A $1 A SONG FOR A 15 TRACK BEE GEES ALBUM, PUNK!!! I 'll get it for free from Kenny in Tulsa. Thanks, Kenny!

No comments:

Post a Comment