Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Superman Returns

I went to the movies today and finally saw Superman Returns.

I don't know what all the mixed reviews were about because after it was over I thought it was really good. I was surprised how well Brandon Routh and Kate Bosworth filled their roles, and I thought Kevin Spacey did a great job of making Lex Luther seem much more dangerous and evil than Gene Hackman ever did.

From the reviews that I read, their complaint seemed to be that Brandon Routh and Kate Bosworth don't have enough dialogue, enough stuff to say to each other, etc. But I got the feeling from the beginning of the movie that the approach of the film was "we've seen Superman 1 & 2, let's get right into Superman 2 1/2". So, there really didn't need to be a bunch of explaining, we already know the backstory.

Also, all the small nods to the original films were cool to me. The cameos by the Superman TV show actors, using Marlon Brando's scenes from the original film to play Superman's father once again, and using memorable lines of dialogue again was pretty cool.

I will say it was probably the most subliminal Superman movie. There are a lot of scenes that are lonely and quiet, without any dialogue. Only pictures and settings for you to draw your own conclusions about what the characters are thinking and feeling at times. I thought it worked well.

So, for me, Superman Returns was a really good movie and I thought it was much better than the mixed reviews that I'd read prior to seeing it. I would recommend seeing it.


Something is going on with my Photobucket account, among other things, and I need to straighten it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment